Precisely define text behavior to significantly increase the readability and relevance of texts in all languages
Use the most recognized solution for automatic text placement to achieve the highest level of quality. Process texts in any language to generate maps for any location in the world with fully customizable settings to meet your requirements.
A text is assigned to each graphic object
The text placement parameters: road names, POI, buildings, street numbers, etc… can be used to obtain remarkable placement results. In addition, the text placement engine automatically adjusts according to the scale and density of information required.
- Flat text
- Text on curve
- Flat text on curve
- Text on surface
Graphic parameters for text design
A text type is a set of text attributes referenced by a name, classified by family and arranged in a list. Texts can be placed “flat” or “on curves”. LorikSoftware uses Unicode, TTF, OpenFont and ATM fonts and also supports any language (such as Arabic, Cyrillic, Greek, Thai, etc). A complete interface defines all the graphical parameters of the fonts such as:
- Font definition:
- Main font used by default
- Alternative font which is another possible font for a text, a condensed font for example
- The color, the halo: width and color, the frame
- The default layer
LorikSoftware includes parameters to modify the text during automatic placement or during interactive data editing.
- Offset and line spacing
- Spacing value
- Size variations
- Superscript and subscript percentage
- Default justification
- Hiding of the support curve
A specific tool is available to place the nautical soundings on marine maps.
The power of the toolbox tasks text placement
Flat text placement
Defines the parameters for flat text placement according to the following criteria:
- A margin surrounding each text to avoid overlapping
- The minimum and maximum distances permitted in connection with the insertion point
- The positioning order of the texts in connection to their insertion point (center, left, right, top left, top right, etc.)
- The creation of a connecting line
- A priority in regard to the other deposited texts
- A set of modifications of the text to fit in the available space
- Avoidance of a linear selection
- Multiple POI spacing
- Conflict detection of a selection of POIs
- Alternative option when placement is not available
Spiral pattern around the insertion point with minimum and maximum distance parameters from the insertion point
Some options define the text placement preferences (less possible modifications, closest possible to insertion point, etc…).
An option is available to force the placement of selected texts into a defined area
Text on curve placement
Defines the parameters for placing text on the curves according to the following criteria:
- The ideal spacing from the beginning and end of the supporting curve and in between placed strings (with a maximum of occurrences)
- A limit that will enable to avoid the text placement on acute angles
- A specific component in which the texts in placement conflict will be placed
- A priority in connection to other texts placed on the curve; for instance, main roads must be placed before local roads
- Conditions of text placement according to the shape or the length of a curve
- In case, the shape is too complex or the curve too small, the text is placed as “flat” with a possible creation of a connection line
- A set of modifications are available to adjust the text into the available space
The order of the modifications can also be defined by the user. A modification can be forced or disabled. When a text cannot be placed, the software applies the modifications in sequence. When the text is finally placed, the program attempts to remove the earlier modifications in order to achieve the fewest possible changes.
Contour lines text placement
Placement of the elevation values on the contour lines. These values can be directly extracted from the digital terrain model itself.
Text placement on contour lines is based on existing contours or is computed directly from DTMs.
Text placement on surfaces
Defines the parameters for the placement of texts associated with surfaces in order to place them in a linear way on an automatically created median curve or as a flat text. The geometry of the area may also provide a condition to the placement.
- The « Queensway Bay » label has been placed on an automatic generared curve. The curve required to place the “Rainbow Harbor” text cannot be processed. Then, the text is placed as a flat text.
- The first surface is too small to display the text. The second surface can only display the text once. The third surface is large enough to display multiple text occurences. There are no limitation to define maximum and mininum parameters.
Text placement adjustment
Additional toolbox tasks operate on text types and their attributes to place texts automatically, avoiding placement conflicts. The texts are placed in such a way that they do not cross the boundary of the transfer area.
Transformation of texts by regular expression
Uses regular expressions enables to modify the content or the order of a text to be placed in the map.
Regular expressions are entered individually or as a list.
The result of this conversion can be used conditionally within the text placement rules.
Flat text placement along a curve
Defines the placement parameters for flat text to be placed along a curve. The insertion point is calculated on the curve and the orientation may or may not follow the curve. An avoidance rules enables to disable the placement of texts on a selection of curves.
1/ The text uses the angle of the curve at the point of insertion
2/ The text is placed without orientation
3/ A symbol can also be placed under the text